Monday, July 6, 2015

Math Calendar FREEBIE!

I finished my Masters Degree in November of 2014. Many of the books and articles we were required to read stressed the importance of two key ideas in helping our students learn mathematics - having students experience a "productive struggle" and providing them with opportunities for cumulative review.

Here are two books that I found the most helpful:



In my three l o n g short years of teaching, I have learned so, SO much about what it means to be an effective teacher. I think most teachers can relate to this: you have an AwEsOmE lesson planned. you have spent hours preparing. you have researched (more like pinterest) ideas. you have gathered materials. you've made copies. you've laminated. you have manipulatives and visuals and sometimes even a song! you have hands-on activities, games, and stations. You deliver the lesson. And you NAILED IT! (high five!) Students had fun AND learned. It's a win-win. And you even have assessment data to prove it.

Fast forward 2 months later. You bring up the exact same topic to the class.
*crickets*
*dazed, blank stares*

"Really?!? Y'all don't remember this?!" Teacher bangs head on a concrete wall. 


Students HAVE to have cumulative review. And if not, stop what you're doing. Go ahead and get some band-aids....Cuz you gon' need 'em!

After looking on Pinterest a couple of years ago, I decided that Math Calendars would be a neat way for students to consistently review previously learned material. So, I created a couple and LOVED them, but I never found the time to create more. These are also the most purchased items in my Teacher's Pay Teacher's Store. I really like these because there's so much flexibility in the way that you could potentially use them. You could keep them in the classroom and have students complete one a day, or have them work on a week at a time and check them in class as you go.

I typically pass them out on the first day of the month. Students are responsible for taking them home and keeping up with them. They are due back around the second of the following month. I really stress the importance of students showing work on the back or another sheet of paper in order to receive any credit. I won't accept it until I see where they have shown work.  I often give students "work time" in class. When students tell me they don't have anything to do (yeah, right) because they have finished their classwork and homework and have no missing work, my first question back to them is "have you finished your math calendar for this month?" And that's the end of that conversation. :)  I also sometimes have students work on their calendar as their warm up assignment in class. This helps to keep them on students' mind so that they are not forgotten about until the 30th of the month. Because time management is such a struggle for 7th graders, I give a few extra credit points if they are turned in early.


Here is the 7th Grade Math Calendar I just finished up for October 2015. It will cover everything we have done in August and September. The calendar is editable so you could change the month, days, problems, etc. I will have both my 7th grade general and advanced class use this one. It could also be used for advanced 6th grade classes or for low-level 8th grade classes.

Topics in the calendar (and covered in August and September in my classroom):
  • Integers
  • Decimals 
  • Fractions
  • Absolute Value
  • Classifying Rational Numbers 



Here is a FREEBIE of an old calendar. Use it to get an idea of what my review calendars look like. 
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment