Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Beginnings of Standards Based Grading(ish)

One of my goals for the 2015-2016 school year is to implement some sort of new grading system. Why? Because I hate how now, students can take a test, fail it, and think it's no big deal because we automatically move on to something else.

NO!! IT IS A BIG DEAL! I want to hold my students accountable and have high standards for them. If they don't understand something by the day of the test, it doesn't just go away. They will see that same topic again, so it is important for students to "get it." I really don't care if they "get it" after 10 minutes or 10 weeks - all that matters to me is that they eventually master the topic. Not everybody learns the same way or in the same amount of time. Totally cool with that. And that's why something's gotta change in room 207!

I have read and heard a lot about Standards Based Grading (SBG), and I have been intrigued. I want to change my traditional use of quizzes, tests, and exams so that skills are specifically listed in the grade book instead of a meaningless quiz title such as "Quiz 3.1-3.3". I want to know the exact skill(s) that students do not understand and have not mastered rather than a mere grade of 16/20 on a quiz that covered 4 different skills. So, this year, the score for each skill will be listed in the grade book.

Once I know the exact skill that students are struggling with, I can reteach and provide opportunities for students to practice and re-quiz on that specific skill.

I don't think what I'm going to do is full out SBG, but is definitely more in that direction.
I'm not going to allow students to make anything lower than a "B" or 85% on ANY skill covered on a  quiz. If they do, I will enter that grade in the grade book, but students will be required to re-quiz on that one skill, and then their score will be updated in the grade book.

Although it will most likely change, this is how I'm envisioning this happening in my classroom:
-Teach 1-4 skills
-Students take 1 quiz on those skills. Each skill has it's own section and spot for a score within the quiz. So, if a quiz covers 2 skills, students will actually get 2 scores in the grade book - one for each skill.
-Return graded quizzes. Students fill in their scores for each skill on a grade tracking sheet I will pass out. They will glue these in the front of their Interactive Notebook. (see picture below)
-Students will re-quiz ONLY on the skill that they did not get an "A" or a "B" on.
-I replace the grade in the grade book if the score is higher than before.

Quiz Tracking Form


For re-quizzing, I'm thinking I will have it in class probably once a week or once every other week or whenever time allows. For students that have mastered every single skill, they will have some free time while their peers are working. This will be a great motivator for students to do well on quizzes the FIRST time.

Questions/Thoughts I have as I am working through all this:

  •  Should I still give tests? How will that work? Just give a cumulative test after every 2-3 chapters/topics since I will be giving more quizzes than normal? 
  • This seems like a lot of grading...how can I manage that? Use Digits, Google Form, Socrative, etc. so that it is automatically graded? 
  • I'm teaching 3 preps this year (yikes!) - should I only start this with 1 prep? Or go all in and have all my classes do this? 
  • Should I enter all grades as I usually do (numerically)? Or, should I only enter the numerical score if the student passed the skill with an "A" or "B" and enter a "NY" for students that have "not yet" mastered this skill, but enter the actual numerical score in the comments section so that it is still on record?


What are your thoughts? I would love any feedback and/or suggestions you have!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Liz,
    Great idea. This helps me think things through myself (your blog)..In regards to the grading idea, .I think you should try it with one class for the first semester and then compare the results and see if it makes a difference or if it makes a difference in certain areas and not others and of course if it makes a difference with certain students and not others. Keep fighting the good fight!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lori,
      Yeah, I'm thinking that trying it with just one prep may be the way to go. Thanks for the comment! See ya soon!!

      Delete