Saturday, September 19, 2015

Witnessing Student Growth...#winning

As I have written about before, this year I am implementing Standards Based Grading. Here's how it looks in my classroom:

Students take quizzes often. Usually, there are 2-3 skills on a quiz, but each skill is separated. Here's an example of a decimals operations quiz my 7th grade general classes recently took.

Multiply & Divide Decimals Quiz 

Students get a score for each specific skill, and this is what goes in the gradebook - not the overall score. Since there's just a few problems for each skill, I have decided that mastery is missing 0-1 problems. If a student missed  0-1 problems, then I don't require them to re-quiz. If they miss more than 1 question, they are required to re-quiz on that specific section. I give re-quizzes on Friday. Students that do not have to re-quiz are given game time on their Chromebooks. They love this incentive!!

I am LOVING this way of grading. It is holding students accountable for their learning. If they don't master the skill the first quiz, they know they have to re-quiz on it on Friday. And if they still don't master it the 2nd time, they know they will be re-quizzing again. I have only had about 10 of my 100+ students that have needed to re-quiz a 2nd time. Most students are mastering the skill on their 1st re-quiz. This, to me, is such a win!

When settings up their interactive notebooks at the beginning of the year, I had students title 4 pages "Quiz Forms." After every quiz and re-quiz, students write in their score for each section of the quiz. This way, come Friday when it's time to requiz, they look there to see what specific sections they need to re-quiz on. Not gonna lie - this has been a struggle for many general students. I should have went around to every single kid after returning the first quiz to ensure they had done this correctly. I will definitely do that next year. Those who did it right the first time are okay. Others, not so much. I even saw this past week where one kid had glued in an actual quiz in the quiz form section. (Insert blushing emoji). I then tore the quiz out, and I went through and wrote in every quiz and score in his notebook. (Insert impatient/annoyed emoji).

I wish I had a picture of a notebook that was done correctly. I will take a picture this week and add it here.

My original plan was to make the quiz report forms myself and have the student just fill in the score and glue them in. I did that for my first class, but I just had my other classes hand write them in. Maybe I will start creating these for general classes.

Many of my advanced students are making careless errors on their quizzes...forgetting a negative sign, adding when they were supposed to be subtracting, etc. Making them re-quiz because of these mistakes forces them to be more and more careful with each quiz.

Re-quizzing has definitely allowed me to see student growth and has helped me to also identify weaknesses.

After classes have taken the 1st quiz on a topic. I grade them and sort them low-high. The following day, students work with a partner on making corrections. I do not grade the corrections. It is just for their learning. I take a quiz from the top of the stack (a low score), and a quiz from the bottom (a high score). The two students get together, and they know that if they have the high score, they have to actually teach and help the other student - not just show them their answers. This has been so beneficial! I hear the "ooooh, I see what I did" and "man, I can't believe I forgot that."
((music to my teacher ears!))

No comments:

Post a Comment